Readings 10 Oct 2013

October 9th, 2013  |  Published in Deacon Andy's Blog

Today’s readings are Mal 3:13-20 and Luke 11:5-13

Our first reading today is from the prophet Malachi. It is the last book of the collection of the twelve Minor Prophets which is inscribed with the name of Malachias. As a result, the author has long been regarded as the last of the canonical prophets of the Old Testament. All that is known of him, however, is summed up in the tenor of his preaching and the approximate period of his ministry (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09562b.htm) .

As I read the readings for today I was struck with the idea of a Father’s love for his children.  Not the romantic version, the real life trials and tribulations that every parent, father or mother, goes through in loving their children.  I know for me there were stretches when 90% of the time I wanted to throttle one or the other of the kids because they defied me, not listening to my commands, not acting as I had taught them to act.  But 10% of the time, when they did what is good and pleasing, following the commands; that 10% of the time made up for the other 90%. Don’t we all seem to fall into the 90% – 10% split in God the Father’s eye? It seems we sin a lot more often than follow His commands, even after He gave us Moses and all the prophets, and even His only begotten Son to teach us how to act properly.

I am so thankful that the “Father in heaven” is infinitely patient unlike us “who are wicked”. Because of the 10% we will not “hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg?”   Because the Father in heaven loves us unconditionally, even when we sin, “will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him”.